As organizations see a large number of advantageous features with Cloud networking system, companies are looking for best Cloud hosting services. Leading names in arena of Cloud web hosting are Microsoft, Google, Amazon, Rackspace and IBM. Business owners want all cloud computing advantages at affordable price. Hence, they want comparative view over cloud service packages offered by different providers.
Google, Amazon and Rackspace are offering very affordable Cloud service packages that are within reach of even small online companies. Many small business enterprises are comfortable with Amazon and Rackspace cloud packages. However, some are confused on whose services to take. A comparative view over Rackspace Cloud Vs Amazon Cloud services will clarify the confusions of many online business companies and will help them in taking right decision.
Rackspace Vs Amazon – Face to Face!
RackSpace Cloud services are available at flat rates. With different packages of Rackspace, you get different data storage, bandwidth and number of servers. Amazon Web services (AWS) cloud web hosting charges are based on instances. With AWS, you can always control your bill by switching from higher price instance to lower price instance or vice versa according to your requirements.
Prices of different service packages offered by both companies vary according to locations. Hence, a person must refer to home websites of these providers to look up for prices of service packages according to location.
Both providers charge reasonable price for bandwidth except for a few differences. Amazon EC2 charge is $0.17 per gigabyte, whereas Rackspace Open Cloud charges $0.18 per gigabyte. This gives AWS EC2 a very slight edge over Rackspace. However, when it comes to incoming traffic, Rackspace Open Cloud is free, while Amazon EC2 charging $0.10 for each gigabyte. Monetarily speaking, this gives Rackspace a clear advantage over AWS EC2, and is particularly useful for websites and web applications that depend on heavy incoming traffic.
Amazon allows a user to have only 5 dedicated public IPs despite of having more number of servers. Comparatively Rackspace gives a better option in this respect, by offering 1 public IP for each instance that a user has.
Reverse DNS facility:
Rackspace provides reverse-DNS for user’s personal domains, whereas Amazon EC2 does not offer any such facility to edit reverse DNS. This concept of can be helpful for mail delivery, while EC2 does not provide such option to customers requiring outbound mail service.
Persistence of Data Volume
- RackSpace Strategy: Rackspace Cloud servers have access to local RAID 10 disk storage ensuring inherent protection from drive failures. In other words, unfortunately if Rackspace server failure happens, consumer’s own Cloud Server will still exist. Depending upon particular data center requirement, one can embark on Rackspace’s hybrid strategy of dedicated server and cloud networking.
- Amazon’s Concept: Amazon EBS enables a user to create point-in-time consistent snapshots of data volumes which are archived in Amazon S3, and automatically replicated across several memory zones. These snapshots protect large volumes of data and offer long term durability. One can also share these snapshots with colleagues easily.
- Amazon (+) point: Amazon can be considered better than Rackspace in terms of data storage and extra data backup requirements. Amazon EC2 provides Elastic Block Service (EBS), that enables a user to create huge blocks of file system-level storage. This can be loaded on any instance. This concept is very helpful for those websites that need huge storage space. Rackspace, with the newly launched Cloud Block Storage, also offers mountable extra storage. Charges are per-GB based, and the I/O is completely free, giving developers and strategists dependable performance for their I/O-intensive applications.
- RackSpace (+) point: With Amazon package, you get 100GB data storage and you have to pay full charge even if you use only 50GB or less. Rackspace allows you to take additional storage when required. So, you are more flexible with Rackspace.
- Amazon (+) point: With AWS EC2, you get more functionalities. A user gets out of box features. Customers can create servers from public images. EC2 offers an in-built firewall. With rackspace, you need to install a firewall.
- RackSpace (+) point: Rackspace Cloud service can be considered the best from view of simplicity. Amazon EC2 has sophisticated functionalities and users take months to learn all features starting from how to create an instance. People can learn Rackspace within hours. Rackspace, on the other hand, is careful when identifying the infrastructure. For example, it is clear on the concepts of a traditional server as compared to a cloud server. For Rackspace, there is a clear distinction between what constitutes a cloud server / instance and a traditional server. A server image does not refer to an AMI. A hard disk is a hard disk, absolutely not an EBS volume. Data storage capacity is the actual capacity, not an EBS snapshot etc.
Rackspace and Amazon Web services offer cloud services working on different concepts. Prices of service packages vary according to location. The price schemes offered by both companies also vary while offering bandwidth, data storage, number of servers, IP addresses and other additional features
Both providers offer different cloud service packages according to quality of services included in them. An organization must review its affording capacity and requirement of data storage, bandwidth, number of servers and additional features before considering a Cloud hosting package from either of the providers. You will get more clear view on Rackspace Vs Amazon cloud hosting offers by visiting their home websites. You can also chat with or call to live representatives for better understanding of their Cloud offers and price schemes.
RackSpace Vs Amazon, Concluding Line:
Amazon EC2 is best for customers willing to store unlimited data and access extra features without caring too much about expenses. RackSpacke Cloud hosting service is advantageous for users requiring outbound mail service, people seeking flexible data storage, fast bandwidth and more number of servers at economical price.